A Brief History of The Fasy Auditorium
Before 1947, the old Auditorium belonged to the C .N. R Club, Chota Nagpur Railway Club.
Jesuit Fathers landed in Jamshedpur from Maryland Province of the U S A in about 1947. They acquired this auditorium and some scattered rooms near it from them, and started the school. They named it as Loyola School in honour of their favoured saint, St. Ignatius of Loyola.
Class of ’58 Reunion: Jamshedpur, Jan 2015
March 3, 2014, the 175th birth anniversary of Jamsetji Tata, a historic date for Indian industry, “Founder’s Day” for Jamshedpurians, young and old, and the day that sparked off the reunion of Loyola’s Class of ’58.
A few days later, Dhan Madan, arguably the most colourful member of the class of ’58, emailed his numerous Jamshedpur friends reminiscing about the good old days, and wondering whether a reunion of the class of ’58 was a possibility. The email was duly networked to several of Dhan’s classmates. In less than 10 days, at-least 8 had enthusiastically clambered onto the reunion bandwagon. Emails zipped around, and furious googling, supplemented by down-to-earth searches, swiftly tracked down thirteen of the surviving fifteen of 1958’s “Magnificent Seven-teen”. A Jan 2015 date was agreed upon for the big event — gentlemen of our vintage can ill afford to take the long view — and the classmates based in India took over the planning. V.R. Nair worked his contacts to organise accommodation and local logistics. Jamshedpurians, Tushar and Zarin Kabi, took care of happy hours’ hospitality, and Dhan’s emails ensured that the enthusiasm for the reunion continued unabated. We had hoped for a full turnout, but two classmates, based overseas, dropped out due to health and other reasons.
Launching of Loyola Flats for Faculty
In 1953 the management of the Tata Iron and Steel Company allotted three houses for Loyola Faculty in Kadma and B H Area locations. It was indeed a privilege for us to dwell in the TISCO houses, because they were exclusively allotted for their employees only. This could happen because of the friendship between Rev. Fr. George A Hess S. J., the Rector-Principal of Loyola and the then General Manager to the TISCO, Mr. Neil Hailey, who was from City of Gary, Indiana.
Also, the TISCO management offered Loyola a site on lease for the construction of the houses for its staff members. It was a magnanimous offer indeed and they suggested that the school could choose one of the two areas for the buildings. One of them was between the TISCO Aerodrome and Sonari area and the other one was near the “Garam Nala” in Sakchi.